Being told that you need surgery is not likely to be music to your ears. But there are important questions that you can ask your urologist to reduce your anxiety and help you gain trust in working with your urologist. Go to your appointment with a list of what is on your mind. Here are some things that might help you get the most out of your appointment.
1. Can you describe the surgery and what it will do for me?
2. Should I have surgery right away or can we wait?
3. Do I have anything to lose if we watch the condition and delay surgery?
4. Is there anything that I can do to improve my condition?
5. Can you you tell me how quickly my problem might progress?
6. What kind kind of outcomes can I expect if I undergo this surgery?
7. How fast will my recovery be?
8. How many of these procedures have you performed?
9. How do you feel about me getting a second opinion?
10. Are there any other treatments available for people with my condition?