1. Health

My Wish for Santa -A Pitchwoman for Urinary Incontinence

By December 21, 2009

As 2009 comes to a close, I find myself writing about urinary incontinence in older women. Millions of women suffer with it in shame and silence.

I have this wish for Santa: In 2010, could women finally get their pitchwoman for urinary incontinence? Women need to have someone serve like Bob Dole did for erectile dysfunction, Lance Armstrong does for testicular cancer, or First Lady Betty Ford did for breast cancer.

Can you suggest any endearing women celebs for this position? What kind of woman would you like to see bring this common health problem out of the closet?

Comments
December 21, 2009 at 8:43 pm
(1) Lynne says:

I wish I knew of someone specific to recommend – great idea – but the numbers tell us she shouldn’t be hard to find…

Then again, it would take someone with humility due to the stigma.

December 21, 2009 at 9:39 pm
(2) wb says:

I think somebody who is 55+ but still very vibrant and sexy would be great. Bette Midler, Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep, Rachel Welch, Sophia Loren…

December 21, 2009 at 9:44 pm
(3) Sandy says:

The person it should be is Barbara Walters. I don’t think she does any of this but she certainly has credibility.

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 am
(4) Deek says:

I vote for Tina Turner. With all the bouncing around on stage she would be a great spokeswoman -”if it works for me it can work for you.”

December 22, 2009 at 10:27 am
(5) ed b says:

My first thought was that it should be somebody steeped in dignity–Meryl Streep, the Queen of England, that sort–but the Tina Turner suggestion seems so right on that I’m persuaded it should be somebody associated with loving life. If Tina’s not available, maybe Elizabeth Taylor.

December 22, 2009 at 1:41 pm
(6) Carol C. says:

I agree that the spokesperson should be someone who is over 55 and still vibrant and sexy. Sophia Loren was the first person who came to mind for me.

December 22, 2009 at 3:26 pm
(7) Trisha Torrey says:

I’m thinking humor is the way to go…. Whoopi Goldberg or Roseanne Barr or even Cloris Leachman — she did do Dancing with the Stars!

…. or how about politics? What about Nancy Pelosi? Or Hillary Clinton?

Even current events / news people like Oprah or Katie Couric or Diane Sawyer….

I’m just sayin’

December 22, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(8) Joyce says:

I vote for Betty White!

December 23, 2009 at 7:06 pm
(9) francesca says:

The real point is that urinary incontinence is yet another possible result of the aging process. I could vote for my mother but she’s not that famous…yet. She is 91 and has outgrown the panty liner stage. Now it’s Depends (we call them diapers–she doesn’t mind) OVER her underwear. That way, if there are no accidents she wears them again the next day–ecologically correct and less costly.
Laura, I love your articles. Keep them coming! I look forward to reading on in the new year.

December 23, 2009 at 10:02 pm
(10) nancy says:

I think Mary Tyler Moore would be great. She represents humor and dignity, and our age group certainly watched her show back in the early seventies.